What is Parks Planning and Development?
Public parks, greenways, trails and open spaces are integral to supporting community and improving quality of life. As Roanoke continues to grow and change over the years, new recreational spaces are needed. Thoughtful park and greenway planning ensures that we continue to anticipate our community's needs and improve the city's natural and recreational assets.
- Ensuring stakeholders and residents have adequate public involvement opportunities to provide input for decision-making
- Developing and implementing the Parks and Recreation Comprehensive Master Plan
- Providing planning and design for new parks, greenways, recreation areas, trails, and open space amenities
- Providing effective general land use planning and policy for Roanoke’s natural resource base
- Joining with area residents, related public agencies, and community partners to continuously improve the quality, safety, availability and accessibility of parks and open space
- Coordinating and overseeing Capital Improvement Program
- Supervising new construction, renovations, and improvements to parks and facilities